SWEET POTATO CURRY WITH SPINACH STYLE
- 1⁄2large sweet onions, chopped or 2 scallions, thinly sliced
- 1 -2teaspoon canola oil
- 2tablespoons curry powder
- 1tablespoon cumin
- 1teaspoon cinnamon
- 10ounces fresh spinach, washed, stemmed and coarsely chopped
- 2large sweet potatoes, peeled and diced (about 2 lbs)
- 1(14 1/2 ounce) can chickpeas, rinsed and drained
- 1⁄2cup water
- 1(14 1/2 ounce) can diced tomatoes, can substitute fresh if available
- 1⁄4cup chopped fresh cilantro, for garnish
- basmati rice or brown rice, for serving
Made it :
- You may choose to cook the sweet potatoes however you prefer.
- I like to peel, chop and steam mine in a veggie steamer for about 15 minutes.
- Baking or boiling work well too.
- While sweet potatoes cook, heat 1-2 teaspoons of canola or vegetable oil over medium heat.
- Add onions and sauté 2-3 minutes, or until they begin to soften.
- Next, add the curry powder, cumin, and cinnamon, and stir to coat the onions evenly with spices.
- Add tomatoes with their juices, and the chickpeas, stir to combine.
- Add ½ cup water and raise heat up to a strong simmer for about a minute or two.
- Next, add the fresh spinach, a couple handfuls at a time, stirring to coat with cooking liquid.
- When all the spinach is added to the pan, cover and simmer until just wilted, about 3 minutes.
- Add the cooked sweet potatoes to the liquid, and stir to coat.
- Simmer for another 3-5 minutes, or until flavors are well combined.
- Transfer to serving dish, toss with fresh cilantro, and serve hot.