Creamy beetroot curry
- 1 tbsp vegetable oil
- 2 onions , very finely chopped
- 2 tsp yellow mustard seed
- 3 tbsp Madras curry paste
- 1kg (peeled weight) raw beetroot , peeled, halved and thickly sliced
- 1 green chilli, halved lengthways
- 400g can chopped tomato
- 3 tbsp ground almond
- 4 tbsp low-fat natural yogurt, plus extra to serve
- basmati rice, to serve (optional)
Made it :
- Heat the oil in a large lidded pan, stir in the onions and cook for 8 mins until soft. Tip in the mustard seeds and cook for 1 min until toasted. Stir through the curry paste and sizzle for 3 mins.
- Mix the beetroot through the spicy onions, then add the chilli, tomatoes and 2 cans of water. Cover and simmer for 30 mins, stirring occasionally, until the beetroot is tender. Remove the lid, turn up the heat and cook until the sauce is thick.
- Take off the heat, then stir through the almonds, yogurt and some seasoning. Top with yogurt and serve with basmati rice, if you like.